* They gain a shared sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from giving back to the community
* They can discuss service and community issues with their peers, as well as make new friends.
* Volunteering creates positive role models for children and youth.
* Volunteering builds the self confidence
* Volunteering improves communication and support skills
* Volunteers meet people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
* Volunteers have an opportunity to share time and talents.
* Giving to others places a volunteer's own problems into perspective.
* Volunteering helps children and teenagers relate to other generations
* Volunteer work can show the youth how to solve their own conflicts.
* Volunteer work gives youth a sense of purpose or belonging
* Volunteering develops pride.
* Families can participate together in special events (eg., walk-a-thons) without having to leave the kids behind.